I was just drafting my own best PR Job Boards post when I got scooped by Amanda DiSilvestro over at the terrific PR Breakfast Club blog. You can see her Top 10 PR job boards list, a useful resource for PR jobs.
It’s tough keeping up with smart new public relations grads isn’t it?
So, I’ve revised my approach to… drum roll please… an analysis of monster job boards and 15 [More] Primo PR Job Boards & Resources.
Most Monster Job Boards Not Worth Your Time
If you’re a PR job hunter, I’ll save you a lot of time. Most monster job sites aren’t worth it. They simply give too many unrelated or irrelevant jobs when searching for public relations job openings.
In my new book PRoactive: The Public Relations Job Hunter’s Guide (available on Amazon, pardon the plug), my analysis shows that only three of the major monster sites deliver targeted results for PR job hunters.
What I did was search for “public relations” (in quotes) and noted the total number of listings (see chart above). Then, I evaluated the percentage of listings to decide the number of “real” PR jobs.
LinkUP delivered 3,102 “real” PR jobs or 100% of the listings when searching for “public relations” jobs. No barista, sales, call center, restaurant, pizza delivery or other off-topic openings. Simply Hired was the best of the monster job boards with 21,649 listings of which 92% or 19,917 were “real” PR opportunities while BestJobsUSA offered 90%. That gives you an accurate fix on which job boards deliver real results.
After these top three, the results drop quickly, showing that you’re better off spending time on custom PR job sites like those following.
15 Best PR Job Boards & Resources
After Amanda’s list (above) and my own PR Coach Job Board, here are my 15 recommended PR job boards:
- #PRJobs – a busy Twitter channel constantly updating with new openings, tips and suggestions
- #HAPPO – another nicely targeted Twitter channel with new openings and tips
- AdWeek Media Job Market
- Bulldog Reporter’s PR JobMart
- Council of Public Relations Firms Career Center
- DC Public Affairs + Communications Jobs – DC-area focused
- Eluta.ca - Canadian jobs; other countries too
- International Association of Business Communicators Job Center - some of IABC’s listings are available to non-members
- LinkedIn – find hundreds of PR job openings in dozens of public relations “Groups”
- MediaBistro PR Job Listings
- PR Job Watch | Facebook
- PR Week Jobs (US) - check other country editions too
- Ragan Career Center
- TalentZoo – Media Jobs
What to Look for on PR Job Boards?
Watch for features like job alerts, RSS feeds and other job hunting tips and resources. Alerts and RSS feeds deliver results directly to your inbox. A terrific time saver.
When you search, put terms in quotations for better targeted results. Search by city or state. Take advantage of job tips and resume suggestions.
Anything you can do to automate your search without losing quality will leave you more time to polish your résumé and pump up your portfolio.
No excuses. It’s time to get proactive in your PR or communications job search.
Here are two of my most popular posts on the topic and a quick video worth viewing:
- 11 Tips to Take Your PR Resume from Lame to Game
- 51 PR Experts Share Tips for PR Job Hunters
- What’s New With PR Jobs? [Video]